Who to Report Sidewalk Cracks To

Doug Enright 

Have you ever driven through a parking lot or walked down a sidewalk and noticed what bad condition either surface was in? Perhaps, you’re hit a pothole that’s damaged your car or sprained your ankle due to damaged concrete. If that’s the case, you’re not alone. But what do you do afterwards? You can deal with your car and body, but what do you do about the concrete or asphalt that caused the issue to begin with? Read on to find out.

Reporting Sidewalk Cracks

Depending on the area of the country you live in, sidewalks are the responsibility of several different people. They could be part of the city, part of an establishment or part of a community. It’s important to locate the right contact to report issues with a sidewalk to, in order to ensure the issue reaches the right people.

In many cities, sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owners the sidewalks are connected to or the city themselves. The first call you make should be to the city to find out which one it is. If it’s the city, you can let them know right then and there what the issue, where it’s located and what happened that made you notice it. They will then do what they can to either fix or repair it within a reasonable amount of time.

If a community, business or property is responsible for sidewalks, it can get a little more tricky to get concrete cracks taken care of. In many cases, those that are supposed to take care of concrete sidewalks just neglect them because they don’t want to spend the money on them. It can be a hassle to deal with these folks, because they don’t care and don’t want to fix concrete issues on their property. You have to be persistent, and if they don’t respond in some way, you may have to report them to the city, anyway.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram